12 July 2012

Apple Chai Bread

Gotta be honest, I wasn't planning on posting any recipes while traveling. But I found myself at my friends' house in Germany that just so happens to be stocked with many of the things that are necessary, and the very things I've been lacking, to bake (sugar, vanilla, bread pans, an oven? Kinda difficult to bake without those things. I mean, I'm good, but I'm not that good). In spite of my previous intentions to be recipe post-less this summer, all the proper baking products, and chai tea and apples to use up, I couldn't not create this recipe. And I couldn't not share it with you (I'm too kind, I know).

The paths have been crossed

Apple Chai Bread
Makes one loaf of bread
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 medium apple
2 chai tea bags
1 Tbsp cinnamon sugar

The crumbs have gone away and the way is lost

Steep your two chai tea bags in 1/2 cup of water.

Melancholy phantoms eye our skin

Core and chop the apple coarsely. I prefer not to peel them, but if you feel otherwise feel free to do as you wish. I'm not the boss of you and your apples (though, sometimes I probably like to think I am). You should end up with a heaping cup of apples.

Poison apples falling with the wind

Combine the apples, oil, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla. I read in a different recipe for apple bread that this helps release the juice from the apples creating a moister (more moist?) bread. My bread did turn out deliciously moist, but there's no telling if it's because of this step or not. You could be daring and try to do it otherwise but if your bread turns out dry then don't say you weren't warned.

Hear the sigh of the trees: those who enter here never leave

Mix the dry ingredients together. Then add in your apple mixture and chai tea.

And the rangers stream out of their cabins

Transfer batter to a 8x4 loaf pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until you insert a knife and it comes out clean.

They are the hunters we are the rabbits

Maybe we don't want to be found

Guten Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. I just made this bread, and OMG is it amazing! I ground all my spices fresh and made my own applesauce. It was a lot of effort, but it was totally worth it. I was planning to take this to work with me tomorrow, but it may be too good to share! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete