08 February 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie


I pinned this recipe for Chocolate Pie a while back, but completely forgot about it until last night. I had a French club event to which I needed to bring a dessert. I wanted to find one that was quick, cheap, and easy (can I get a "that's what she said?"); fortunately, being that I had most of the ingredients already, this pie fit that bill quite well.

Chocolate Pie Crust:

1 7oz package Newman's Own Alphabet Cookies (which are both vegan and slave-free--get it, Newman! For more information on slave-free chocolate brands, click here)

1/3 cup vegan butter (I use earth balance)


Chocolate Peanut Butter Filling:

1 (12.3-oz) package silken tofu, drained

12 oz of chocolate chips (or 1 ½ cups), melted

1/2 cup peanut butter

2 Tbsp non-dairy milk (I used soy)

3 Tbsp powdered sugar

1 tsp cocoa powder

1 tsp vanilla extract

pinch of salt


Pie Toppings

2 tsp peanut butter

2 tsp powdered sugar

Chocolate shavings


Okey doke, for the pie crust:

Blend the cookies in a food processor until very fine.


Melt the butter and mix with the processed cookies.

Put into a pie plate and press the mixture in. Let chill in fridge before you put the filling inside.

Onto the pie filling:

Put all the ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.

Pour the mixture into your pie crust

Put in the fridge to chill until you're ready to serve it. Seriously, it's that easy.

Now, onto the toppings:

I tried making coconut whipped cream...and failed epically. It was nothing more than coconut milk with some sugar added. Delicious, sure, but definitely not good enough to use as a pie topping.

Instead, I mixed peanut butter and powdered sugar...
and sprinkled it on the pie.

I also added some chocolate shavings, 'cause, well, why the heck not? Plus, using chocolate shavings makes me feel fancy.

And there you have it!

All in all, I thought this pie was pretty good. It might not be able to pass as an exact replica of a non-vegan chocolate peanut butter pie, but it was still rather delicious. Plus, I don't think the goal in vegan cooking needs to be to make something that tastes exactly like its non-vegan counterpart, but just something that tastes wonderful. This pie does that quite well.

1 comment:

  1. I mostly read this blog to get glimpses of my favorite child hands.

    ReplyDelete