17 February 2012

Coconut Curry Chickpea Soup


This is delicious. Absolutely wonderful. You should make it. And eat it.

Okay, that's all I have to say.

Oh, and I originally got the recipe from this blog.


Okey doke, here's the recipe:

Coconut Curry Chickpea Soup
2 (15oz) cans of chickpeas
1 cup quinoa
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lb mixed greens - kale, collards, mustard greens, swiss chard (I acutally used spinach because it was what I had on hand)
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk

Put the quinoa in a medium sized pot with 2 cups of water (I used 1 cup of water and 1 cup of veggetable broth because I knew I'd have extra broth left over after using what I needed for the soup). Bring to a boil and then turn the heat to low. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, or until water is mostly evaporated. Remove from heat and let sit with the lid on. After 5 minutes, remove lid and fluff with a fork.

In a large pot, heat up the olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, carrots, and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent (maybe 5 minutes).

Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.

Add the greens and stir until wilted.

Stir in the coconut milk and quinoa. Simmer until heated all the way through (it should only take a few minutes). Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve warm.

I served it with garlic naan on the side. If I wasn't feeling lazy, I would have made my own naan, but instead I just picked some up from Publix and warmed it in the oven before serving the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment