16 March 2012

Vegan Sour Cream

Down, down by the sea, there is a crown of daisies

I’ve heard and read that cashews are often a very good substitute for making vegan dairy products (such as vegan cheese or heavy cream). I bought raw cashews at my local super market (Ward’s, you are a godsend!) recently intending to make vegan mozzarella. However, I instead used them to make sour cream for my Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes. Though I would like to try vegan mozzarella eventually, I thought that putting it on hold to make chocolate alcoholic cupcakes was definitely a worthy cause.

Vegan Sour Cream
1 cup raw cashews
¼ cup cold water
3 Tbsp almond milk
3 Tbsp lemon juice (about 1 small lemon)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp salt

Down, down by the sea, there is a crown of daisies
Place raw cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for a few hours or overnight.

High, high on a hill, my little lily love

Remove cashews from water and transfer to a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients.

West wind in your hair, tied up in golden daisies

Process until smooth and creamy (3-5 minutes). Add more milk if you find it needs to be creamier.

And there you have it. That’s it. It’s super simple and pretty good. Though, I wouldn’t serve it to non-vegan friends and try to pretend like it was real sour cream. I did try it on some tacos today and quite liked it. However, most likely I’ll be sticking with using this in recipes, such as baked goods, where it's a little more hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment