01 March 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chai Bread

IMG_6621 by glowingalbino

And the tea consuming continues! The original recipe that I found was for pumpkin chai bread. However, 8oz cartons of dark chocolate almond milk were on sale at Publix, so I decided to chocolatify this recipe for the price of $1.00. Huzzah! (BTW, for those who might be interested, the original recipe is made gluten-free.)

Even though the end product did get roommate approval (and when I started criticizing it, Valerie said "geez, you're always so critical of your food. It's good; just enjoy it.") if I could remake this recipe, I would make these changes:
1) I did not like the texture that pouring the tea bag itself into the cake gave. Instead I would steep the tea bags in 1/4 cup of water and use 1/4 cup less of milk. Or, instead of steeping tea bags, use chai tea concentrate.
2) I would add a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder, since I did not find it to be chocolate-y enough.
3) I would also throw in some chocolate covered candied ginger. My roommate teased me with the promise of these for this bread but never came through. The nerve! (...ok...in all fairness, she did say that she wasn't sure if she had that--but still!)

Being that I have a million other recipes that I have yet to try, I probably won't be remaking this one with the suggested modifications very soon. So, how about you do my dirty work and try this bread the way I should have made it and then tell me how it was? Yesss? ;)

IMG_6632 by glowingalbino

Pumpkin Chocolate Chai Bread
2 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 chai tea bags
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup chocolate vegan milk
1 (15oz) can of pumpkin purée (if you want to make your own pumpkin purée, you'll need a little over 1 1/2 cups)

IMG_6623 by glowingalbino

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl (including the chai tea bags) and all of the wet ingredients together in a seperate mixing bowl. Then pour the liquid ingredients into the dry one and mix until well combined.

Pour the batter into a 10" loaf pan. Bake at 330°F (weird temperature, I know, but it worked) for one hour or until a tester is inserted and comes out clean.


photo


No comments:

Post a Comment